Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Run to eat, or eat to run?



I come from a long line of non-athletes. With a very few exceptions, most of my relatives fall into the armchair quarterback category. No 70 year old tennis champs, no aging gymnasts. No sports for me either. I tried to spend gym classes hiding in the bathroom. Dance classes were great, but a big no to sports.  Unfortunately, I am now at the age where if I don’t move it, it ends up around my waist. Really, it’s nicer to sleep in on cold mornings in the 20°F range than hit the cold pavement. People talk about the joy of running; I run to eat.

Now, it’s not that I don’t like to run. I’d rather run than do most any other exercise, and a run on a wooded path with my dog is a joy. It’s the HAVING to run that gets me. WHY can’t I have a roll and butter or a slice of Chuck’s chocolate decadence without having to wear my “fat pants”?? My work day is usually somewhere over 9 hours and I stand, walk and lift for a good part of it. There’s something really wrong with this equation. Even my days off are in motion. It’s not like I watch TV for hours a day. Not fair. I blame my relatives. I run to eat.

If you read about health and fitness at all, you see how the fitness gurus supposedly eat for optimum strength for their workouts. And how we should, too. Or buy a carload of powders, bars and drinks that will supposedly enhance our ability to perform these feats of strength and endurance. Me, I just want healthy food that tastes good and that will allow me enough wiggle room to have a piece of cake. I run to eat.

And most mornings I run, and eat this (after):

Hit the Pavement Smoothie

1 cup 2% or full- fat Greek yogurt
2T Psyllium fiber
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 packet stevia

Dump it all in a blender and blend until smooth. Add water as needed and drink promptly as the Psyllium will thicken it up fast.

This is utterly delicious, pure and clean tasting, and has enough protein, calories, fiber, fat and (low) carbohydrate to keep me going all morning. You can vary the fruit, but if you are watching carbs, keep it to the lower carb choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment