Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Burger Night: A Not So Secret Sauce

My husband loves hamburgers. LOVES hamburgers. So much that every Tuesday night is Burger Night at our house. This is true. I love them too, but don't feel the necessity of having them on a regular day. I think I actually like the toppings as much as the burger. Maybe more. Cheese, onions and bacon...wonderful, sautéed mushrooms ups the yum factor even more.  If you are a purist, then its just ketchup, if you are a little odd or from another planet or country, mustard. For me, ketchup is good, but a sauce with mayo in it is the best.

If you grew up eating burgers at various venues in your neighborhood, the chances are, one of them had a sauce on it that you really, really liked. I know I did, and it was at a local chain called Gino's which disappeared for a while but now is back or rather reinvented in a more updated upscale version. Chuck and I grabbed lunch at the Gino's in King of Prussia, and the sauce tasted just the same as I remembered. Delicious. I have my own sauce I like to make that raises the bar on our homemade burgers, and while it is mayonnaise-based, it's not actually a copy of a fast food sauce. It's more of a grown-up, revved up version. It's equally good on beef, turkey, seafood or vegetarian burgers, even on a grilled portobello. And don't forget grilled chicken or fish filet. Schmear it on everything! French fries...chips... Actually, I could probably eat packing peanuts with this stuff on it...well maybe not, but almost. My burger is waiting.

I'm starving, so this is the best picture you'll get tonight.
Sorry, I'm not sharing anything but the recipe.
The Not So Secret Sauce

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or commercial)
2T ketchup (homemade or commercial)
2 tsp. anchovy paste
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
3 T grated or finely minced onion
1 teas. hot pepper sauce ( homemade, Cholula, or what you have...)
2 tsp. honey or 1T of sugar or spoonable sugar substitute
(2 tsp. capers or dill pickles minced)
2T minced roasted red bell pepper
salt and pepper to taste


Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least two hours or up to 1 day before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment