Friday, October 5, 2012

Fee, Fie, Foe, Friday: First Fall Cold, Ever!

I have a Fall cold. Not a lay-in-bed-sick cold, more of a walking-wounded cold, complete with a wracking cough. I hate it. I have just enough energy to get through the day doing what's needed and nothing more. This is hard because I usually look like the Cat in the Hat juggling plates of green eggs and ham on the ends of sticks. Not used to slowing down, ever.

What's worse is that I never get sick at this time of year; my body usually waits to collapse in February with a good honking cold. When there is actually time to be sick, to wallow in it. Not in the Fall. There is a garden to pull out, and manure to spread, and if I don't do it, it won't get done. My husband only knows there's a garden because he sees the vegetables appear in the house. His exposure to the outdoors is limited to the distance from the back door to the car door.

Was going to make some cupcakes, and brought the ingredients from the pantry before lunchtime. It's 4:45 and they still sit on the counter. I don't care. I have a miserable, sniffy cold. Instead, the dog and I napped on the sofa most of the afternoon.

A million years ago, I had terrible ragweed allergies, but we'd get a good frost and it was done for the year. And an allergy pill made everything good. Sadly, with a cold,  a pill doesn't make everything right, it just makes it all foggy. Yes, I am whining and grumbling. I want my life back. Or at least another bowl of chicken soup. Chicken soup?
For a cold, better than penicillin. Chicken Soup.
Here:
Dump two quarts of chicken stock into a big pot. Add a couple of sliced carrots, some sliced cabbage, celery and onion to it. Heat to a boil. Dice up a chicken breast or two if they're small. Toss it in, add a couple of bay leaves and some dried thyme. Lower to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is cooked through. Add some dry noodles or past and when it's cooked, add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach, or about a half-bag of frozen chopped spinach. Bring to a simmer, taste fore salt.  Ladle into a big bowl and sit on the couch wrapped in a blanket with your dog and/or cat and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment