Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hell & High Water Edition: Happy Halloween

We wish Sandy would go Trick or Treating out to sea.
While this will hopefully get posted on Halloween, the likelihood of my having no electricity is very possible. We're about 100 miles west of where Hurricane Sandy is due to make landfall near Margate NJ in the early hours of Tuesday morning, and if we get the wind they're talking about, this nice leafy green and gold neighborhood will be in the dark at some point. Tree limbs and electrical wires are a poor combination. Looks like Hurricane Sandy is going to come Trick or Treating here.

Every device is charged up, the  batteries, candles, flashlights, food, water, plus ice and coolers are ready to go. Luckily we have cooking gas, and a gas log so we can still cook and be warm. Many of my friends have added a big, old bottle of booze to their preparations. Me, I'd rather console myself with sweets. I plan to eat all the Halloween candy myself.

We've battened the hatches as best we can, and just plan to sit it out. Actually there is really no choice, is there? I hope that those of you reading this are all safe, warm and dry. And if you are in range of the storm that you are prepared and hunkered down. The old adage, "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best," certainly applies here.

Be safe, and I'll be back as soon as I can. After I finish all the Snickers and Twix.

P.s.  10/31/12: We dodged a bullet here; only lost power for a couple of hours and all our big, old trees are still standing. I still plan to eat all the candy.  My thought and prayers are with those who have lost so much due to this violent storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment