Monday, December 10, 2012

This Recipe Is Merry's Fault: Baked Chicken with Delicata Squash, Potatoes & Carrots


A few weeks ago, Merry, my younger stepdaughter, and CC had us all over for a big family dinner. The two of them had roasted a huge pan of this absolutely delectable herbed chicken. Turns out they used Stonewall Kitchens Chicken and Pork Rub that moi had thoughtfully given them last Christmas. Guess what? We all adored it, and poor Mer had been hoarding the stuff until she could get me to get her 5 more tins at work. I kid you not. 5. Even I bought two more for our house. So today, as I was planning our dinner, baked chicken with an assortment of vegetable roasted underneath, I decided to break out the Stonewall Rub. And no, they don't pay me to use or recommend their products, I just like them, and have never been disappointed in anything I've tried.

How about easy AND delish??
I've had a Delicata squash living in my crisper for a couple of weeks now, and had been planning a completely different blog post for it.  But as Christmas heaves closer, and the to-do list gets longer (as does my retail workday) and some of the things I plan to tell you about get pushed aside. So once I found these really tiny red creamer potatoes at the market this morning to roast with my chicken, I thought, why not add the Delicata  with some carrots and onions? Make a one dish meal? Especially since we spent most of the afternoon putting up the tree. The chicken and pork spice rub from Stonewall pulls it all together into a heck of a good dinner for a chilly, rainy night like this.

This is a really simple meal to multiply, and since it uses chicken parts, on the bone, you can serve white meat to those who prefer it and dark to the rest. But you can blame Merry for how scrumptious this dish is.
Baked Chicken with Delicata Squash, Potatoes & Carrots
Baked Chicken with Delicata Squash, Potatoes & Carrots
Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 lb. Chicken parts, breasts, legs and thighs, organic preferred
2T olive oil
3T Stonewall Kitchen Chicken and Pork rub, divided
One 2 lb. Delicata squash, halved,  seeded, and in 1/4" slices
3 large carrots, scrubbed and in 2" chunks
1 lb. tiny 1" creamer potatoes
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 lemon, cut in half

Instructions:

1. Toss the chicken pieces with 1T of the olive oil in a big bowl, and then toss with 2T of the rub. set aside.

2. Preheat the oven to 450ºF, and oil a large shallow roasting pan. Place the squash, the carrots and potatoes in the roasting pan, toss with the remaining oil, and the remaining 1 T of rub, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.

3. Carefully remove the pan to a heatproof surface, and stir the vegetables. Add the onion, and stir again. Lay the chicken across the top, and place the lemon quarters along an edge. Place the pan back in the oven, lower the heat to 400ºF and cook 45 to 50 minute until the chicken is cooked through, and the potatoes are tender.

4. Remove from the oven, and carefully, with tongs, squeeze the lemon quarters over the top. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment