Monday, March 11, 2013

Quick & Easy Guinness Sauce For Beef or Pork

It is supposedly necessary to publish a seasonal recipe when there is any sort of major or minor holiday. It's in the Bloggers Code of Behavior, so I am offering you something for St. Patrick's Day. Every blah-g is loaded with beer laden main dishes, alcoholic desserts and pasty potato dishes. I'm giving you a Guinness sauce for meat. so i'm sadly right up there with the worst of them. It's good any time of the year, as is a pint of Guinness. Personally, the closest I've ever come to being Irish is having proudly bourne  a good Irish last name for a few years. But if I did have any Irish blood, I'd be insulted to have a holiday associated with my mother country reduced to a tawdry celebration of beer and potatoes. The Irish folk I've know have been kind, strong, intelligent, hardworking and generous. Far better things to celebrate, in my less than humble opinion.

All of that said, I do like a glass of stout every now and again, and Guinness was the first one I ever tasted.  Let's face it, it's delicious. It also makes a wonderful base for a rich and tangy sauce to serve with a spice rubbed pork or beef roast. Our dinner tonight happened to be a small pork sirloin tip roast, which I just rubbed up with Stonewall Kitchen Chicken & Pork Rub and a bit of olive oil this morning, and roasted simply this evening. The Guinness stout makes a deep, dark sauce with a deep, dark flavor that tastes like you had to work on it for hours. I think my favorite Irishman would love it.

Quick & Easy Guinness Sauce For Beef or Pork.
Every blogger has to publish SOMETHING for St. Patrick's Day, right?

Quick & Easy Guinness Sauce For Beef or Pork

Makes about 1 scant cup

1 bottle of Guinness stout
1/4 cup beef stock, or water
1T blackstrap molasses
2T sugar or erythritol
1T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. of Stonewall Kitchen Chicken & Pork Rub ( or other favorite meat rub)
pan drippings from a small (under 3 lb.) pork or beef roast

Place everything but the pan drippings into a medium, preferably wide, saucepan, boil and reduce to about half. Stir in the drippings, taste and thin as needed with a bit of water if too intense. Serve hot with pork or beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment