Friday, April 26, 2013

Fee, Fie, Foe, Friday: First Homegrown Asparagus for Dinner!

Yep, it's true. Spring is finally here. Last year we were eating homegrown asparagus 3 weeks earlier, this year, a late cold snap slowed the local asparagus down, and my asparagus bed was no exception. But finally, we'll have homegrown asparagus  for dinner. The fact that my asparagus bed needs to be overhauled badly isn't going to be a topic today...but it does need it badly. The last few dry summers have been hard on it. Thank goodness my friend Betty gave me some asparagus crowns to fill in with. Nothing sprouting yet from those, but we'll see.

Anyway, back to the asparagus in hand. Am planning to cook it simply; I always do for the first batch. Either I'll steam it, roast it or just butter braise it which is a family favorite. I posted that recipe a while back and you can find it here. Later in the season, when we start to get tired of it every day, I start dolling it up. Just not yet.

Happy Asparagus Season!

Homegrown asparagus for dinner tonight!





No comments:

Post a Comment