Monday, April 29, 2013

The Invisible Beets, Cabbage, Chard, Beans and other Vegetables

Well, I haven't been cooking much (actually not at all) because I've spent the last week wheelbarrowing soil from my driveway across the yard and into my new raised beds. I have high hopes for them; my soil is rocky clay, full of roots and has been a real trial for the last 8 years. I'd like a couple more raised beds, but the budget (and my back) won't allow it right now, and I know I won't want to be hauling dirt when the summer heat sets in. will have to wait until fall or next spring. Sigh.

I finally filled the last one today, just took 11 wheelbarrows full of soil, and now it's waiting for the weather to improve so I can set out some tomatoes and peppers. I did get the other two planted, though, and hopefully the forecasted rain will get those seeds germinating. My favorite cooking is with stuff we grow ourselves. So, in the picture below, there are beets, chard, beans, cabbage, radishes and arugula. In seed form...in the beds,  gotcha!

The bushel baskets are waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment