Monday, March 18, 2013

Easy Curry Lime Sauce: Everything Gets Sauced

My third grade nun always used to tell us that the road to hell was paved with good intentions. I'm sure she was trying to impress on us at the ripe old age of eight that what matters is what you actually do, not what you intend to do. In those days it mostly used to pertain to homework. Good intentions on my part, now that I'm grown, tend to be more along the lines of getting stuff from my to-do list crossed off.

Blood Orange Lamb Ragout with Goat Cheese Gnocchi was my plan for this blog post. But thanks to this unruly March weather, our dinner plans were switched from Saturday to Sunday, and while I did make the lamb ragout, there are no goat cheese gnocchi to be seen. Since I did not make dinner at home yesterday, the ragout will be tonight's dinner, with some whole wheat gnocchi from Italy. Ragouts are always better a day or two later, so that's no problem. What was a problem, was deciding what to write about today. I was thinking about it as I had lunch, cold roast pork with leftover Curry Lime Sauce, some sliced beets and hard cooked eggs, also napped with the sauce. Here was one of the best things I like to keep around in the fridge, right under my nose, (on my plate!) and I hadn't shared it with you. Shameful!

There a few sauces that keep well, and are a joy to have on hand because you can use them on just about anything, anytime, anywhere, which makes them as useful as a little black dress. This is one of them. this curry-lime sauce really jazzes up hors d'oeuvres, lunches and leftovers. Good as a binder for tuna, lobster or chicken salad. Cold meat or fish are great with it, hot or cold vegetables, especially asparagus, beets and cauliflower...cocktail meatballs, crab fingers... This one happens to be low fat, but rich tasting at the same time. You can also make it as spicy as you like, or not depending on the curry powder you choose. I made it last Saturday morning to serve with cold shrimp while my pal Betty was visiting, and it's still in great shape...although there is next to none left as I tend to eat it on everything. 


Easy Curry Lime Sauce

1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
2T (or more) Curry Powder, hot Madras, or your choice of milder
2T Olive Oil, extra virgin
3T fresh lime juice
1-2 T cane sugar or erythritol, or equivalent stevia depending on brand to taste
salt

Place everything but sweetener and salt into a small bow, and whisk until smooth. Add the sweetener of choice and whisk again. Taste for sweetness/spice balance, correct and add salt as needed. Chill for 1 or more hours so flavor can meld. 

Makes about 3/4 cup.


Easy Curry Lime Sauce: Everything Gets Sauced

No comments:

Post a Comment