Friday, May 24, 2013

Fee, Fie, Foe, Friday: Even a Bad Day in the Garden is a Good Day

Hot, humid, and sporadic rain. That was my day in the garden today. I only lasted a couple of hours before the thunder and lightening sent me scurrying to the house, but it was wonderful. I was hoeing weeds, hauling the last new raised bed into position, mulching, and thinning beets and arugula. I was filthy, soaked in sweat and it was great. Tomorrow, I'll fill that last bed (last one for this season, two more next year), and then I'll worrying about mulch, compost, and more tomato stakes. Love it all.

I don't know what you like to do, but I've found as I get older that I like to be productive, even in my "off" time. I like having something to show for my efforts. I knit, practice my French, or heaven forbid, write blog posts. Laying on the sofa, a favorite pastime during the dark days of winter, holds little attraction right now, when I know there are dandelions trying to sneak into the vegetable beds. Unfortunately, there still isn't much coming from the garden to really eat except some errant asparagus, so I'm not cooking or canning as much as I will in a few short weeks.

So while today wasn't anywhere near as productive as I'd of liked thanks to Mother Nature being uncooperative, it was still a good day. Tomorrow no matter what the weather, will be just as good.
Me, in the garden, on a sunny day.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! It is always a good day in the garden! Thanks for sharing Judy!

    ReplyDelete