Sunday, January 15, 2012

Carrot - Rutabaga Mash with Onion and Rosemary



Gah! Even the seed catalogs can't cheer me up on a bitter cold day like this. It's sunny and bright, but, a minute outdoors makes me want to run for cover. I've got a nice roast in the oven though, and the prospect of a roast beef dinner is making me feel a bit better. Too cold to make a run to the market, though, so for something on the side, we'll have to be content with whatever happens to be living in the crisper drawer. It's winter, so there's always a few root vegetables lurking in there. A rutabaga, some carrots, a sweet potato destined for another meal, and some onions. Am thinking maybe the classic British mash of carrot and rutabaga, with a twist?

A few years ago. Ok, a long time ago, up in a little restaurant near Portland ME, on the last day before they closed for the season, I had the best carrots I've ever had in my life. Since I am not a carrot lover, that's saying something. The carrots were stewed in butter with an equal amount of onions and a touch of fresh rosemary. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I thank the chef there from the bottom of my heart, whoever you are.

Since there is a little rosemary plant on my windowsill and I have plenty of onions, adding both to that old-fashioned mixture will be perfect. It's a gorgeous mixture, and tastes wonderful. Wait'll you try it.





Carrot-Rutabaga Mash with Onion and Rosemary

1 lb rutabaga (about the size of a softball), peeled and in ¾” dice
½ lb carrots, peeled and sliced (about 4 good sized)
1 large yellow onion(big as your fist), peeled and diced
2T fresh rosemary, minced
4T unsalted butter
½ cup water
Salt
Black pepper


Place the rutabaga in a medium saucepan and cover with water, salt well, and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, partially cover the pot and boil gently until tender, about 10 -15 minutes. Make sure the water doesn’t boil away. Drain and set aside.  While the rutabaga is cooking, peel and dice the carrots and onion.


Using the rutabaga saucepan (no need to wash between vegetables), melt the butter over low heat, add the carrots, onions, rosemary and the half-cup of water. Give it all a good stir, bring to a simmer, cover tightly and cook until the carrots are soft. Remove the lid and add the drained rutabagas to the pot, mix well, and heat through, letting any excess water cook away. 





There should just be mostly butter left in the pan. Mash, or use an immersion blender, leaving the mixture chunky. Taste for salt and season appropriately. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve with an additional pat of butter if you wish.
Makes 4- 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if even THIS will make me like rutabagas. As many as we grow, I still turn up my nose at the things... *shudder*

    But I have everything here, so I shall give it one more try!
    Kasha

    ReplyDelete