Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How do I Make Pancakes Round?

“How do I make pancakes round? The nanny and cook are off and my kids want pancakes for dinner.” Truth.

God knows I’ve heard plenty of silly questions about cooking but really? She didn’t even notice how stupid her question sounded. It was hard to keep a straight face, but this was a customer in the kitchenware store where I work. The staff laughed about it for days.

Funny as it was, it was act of love. She wanted to give her children a meal they wanted and would enjoy, even if she hadn’t a clue about how to do it. The fellow waiting on her sold her an egg ring to use as a mold, and we assume she went happily off to make round pancakes for her kids.

How people act and talk about their food and how they prepare it says a lot about them as humans. I get to listen to a lot of folks tell me about their food and cooking since I work in a store that sells just about every kind of kitchen item you could want or imagine.  You can tell when someone considers fixing food an evil necessity and you can tell who cares about what’s on their table. It never fails to amaze me when people spend a huge amount on top-notch cookware and knives, then tell me they have no intention of using any of it. It’s just to decorate their kitchen. Pot rack bling.

“He who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else.” –Samuel Johnson

Pretty much covers it, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment